Title: Health & Safety Technician
Location: CA Los Angeles
Assist supervisors with health and safety compliance, for achieving the organizational goals of No Accidents and No Emissions. Provide necessary individual training to ensure front line employees understand and comply with health and safety policies and procedures.
Plan, observe, Coach, record unsafe behavior, with emphasis on correcting /changing /altering the observed unsafe behavior of the individuals and groups leading to an employee Collaborative goal of “ All safety policies and procedures are followed even when no one is watching”
Perform Safety Inspections as requested and document such on safety inspection form. Suggest health and safety improvements, if necessary. If safety violation is noted, coach employee and supervisor on proper health and safety practices; issue Safety Violation Notice as appropriate.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Some of the job duties and responsibilities include:
• Inspect work permits – review work permits to assure they are current and have been completed properly.
- Ensure all procedures on permit are carried out
- Ensure employees understand their assigned duties (fire watch, safety attendant, etc.)
• Inspect locks and tags to insure they have been placed properly
• Ensure line breaking procedures are followed
• Inspect gas cylinders to ensure that they are stored properly. Empty cylinders should be marked “empty”
• Ensure employees are wearing fall protection when needed and ensure that they are wearing harness and lanyard correctly. Ensure that they are tied off correctly
• Inspect piping, flanges, fittings, etc. to ensure they are closed when work is completed
• Inspect electrical cords that are in use in the plant to ensure they are grounded (use of GFCI’s).
• Inspect tools and equipment in use to ensure they are in good working condition (e.g. hand tools, electrical tools, ladders, etc.)
• Inspect containers to ensure they are closed properly
• Ensure employees report accidents/incidents immediately to their supervisor
• Ensure employees understand the “Code Blue” procedures by quizzing them from time to time.
• Observe employees during drum handling activities to ensure they are using safe positioning and lifting techniques
Some other duties include:
• Respirator fit testing
• Forklift Certification
• New Hire Orientation Training
• Refresher Training
• Inspection and Calibration of Equipment (fire protection systems, gas monitors, etc.)
• Assist with other Health & Safety Department responsibilities
Thank you for you interest in this job opportunity.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.