Title: Maintenance Mechanic
Location: CA Los Angeles
Installs, repairs, maintains, adjusts and overhauls pumps, gearboxes, centrifuges, chemical plant equipment, pipe fitting, etc., by performing the following duties. Receive directions from assigned management and supervisory personnel.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Operate Forklift to move equipment and loads to work area.
Skills & Qualifications
• Read and interpret Blue prints and isometric drawings. Work from drawings, verbal instructions or sketches.
• Lift and move heavy equipment and drums.
• Perform simple arithmetic calculations and fractions including shop math.
• Work safely with and around toxic and corrosive chemicals and must be willing to wear proper safety equipment such as hard hat, safety glasses, chemical resistant suit, dust mask, rubber gloves, respirator, safety boots, rain protection gear, apron and other equipment as required.
• Field/Outdoors work in the mechanic’s skill area including fabrication, erection, cutting, drilling, fitting and assembly of pipe and other equipment and at various heights as needed.
• Install and rearrange complex equipment.
• Diagnose complex equipment failures.
• Clean debris and lubricant from parts, work area and equipment.
• Dismantle, repair and reassemble complex equipment.
• Work on ladders, scaffolds and in pits.
• Operate pipe-threading machine.
• Occasionally performs miscellaneous work in other trades as needed or called upon.
• Availability for round the clock emergency work or repairs.
• Supervise and direct work of junior mechanics or helpers as required.
• Complete routine paper work as required.
• Must be willing to work rotating shifts and overtime.
• Perform additional related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability and knowledge to perform general fire safety tasks and firefighting equipment, extinguishers, etc. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before supervisor or employees of organization.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent as well as draw and interpret graphs.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Ability and knowledge to use various mechanic’s tools, inspection gauges and power tools such as grinders, cutters, drills, etc.
• Must be able to function while wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) including half face, full-face respirator or supplied air breathing apparatus. Must be able to fully understand and comprehend and strictly adhere to both oral and written safety procedures and policies. Be able to function in a crisis situation under direction of Lead operator, supervisor or others in case of emergency in the manufacture of flammable, corrosive and highly toxic chemicals.
• Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
• Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
• Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Respond well to questions.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback.
• Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Accepts feedback from others.
• Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Conserves organizational resources.
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
• Judgment - Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
• Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Works quickly.
• Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
• Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Generates suggestions for improving work.
• One year certificate from college or technical school.
• Two year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Outside field environment; exposure to inclement weather; work closely with others.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb heights of up to and greater than 50 feet, balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl in tight spaces. The employee is frequently required to walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Maintain mental capacity that permits making sound judgments regarding work and have regular attendance.
Must also pass post-offer drug testing, background checks and other appropriate testing and requirements as required.
Thank you for you interest in this job opportunity.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.