Main Careers Page
Title: Chemical Operator-Assistant
Department: Manufacturing Location
Location: CA Los Angeles
Understands the chemical process to which he/she is assigned. Makes adjustments to the process as required either manually or through automatic remote means to keep the plant safe and operating at peak efficiency. Records efforts and data on log sheets and in unformatted operation log.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Safety: Must be able to function while wearing personal protective equipment including half face, full-face respirator or a supplied air breathing apparatus. Must be able to fully understand and comprehend and strictly adhere to both oral and written safety procedures and policies. Be able to function in a crisis situation under direction of operator, supervisor or other in case of emergency in the manufacture of flammable, corrosive and highly toxic chemicals.
Skills & Qualifications
• Responsible for Equipment: Properly and responsibility operate equipment to prevent mechanical damage through improper use or mis-application. Be able to trouble shoot system and detect malfunction which will affect product throughput and quality and be able to describe malfunction to maintenance personnel. Must be able to assist maintenance during breakdowns and shutdowns. Must be able to use small hand tools and conduct minor repairs.
• Responsibility for Operations: Must be able to grasp knowledge of production process to include:
- Raw material designation and quantities; o Proper handling methods for raw materials, intermediates, products and byproducts;
- Reaction fundamentals: Sequence of addition of reactants and reaction steps, sequence of events expected during reaction steps, required temperature, pressure, levels, and flows for proper processing to occur. Operation of auxiliary equipment and testing of final product using specific gravity and pH measurements;
- Produce products of required quality and quantity with zero spills, air emissions and utmost safety;
- Maintain log for production records;
- Maintain log of operation and maintenance data;
- Maintain a very high level of housekeeping in work area and properly apply product / warning levels to all product and waste containers.
• Mental Dexterity: Be able to read and comprehend moderately complex instructions and conduct operations accordingly. Ability to use handheld calculator to do simple arithmetic calculation for batch sizing and weight determination, required. Be able to read and understand Material Safety Data Sheets.
• Physical Requirements: Must be able to do moderate lifting. Must be able to stand and walk for long period of time as well as climb stairs and ladder frequently to high places. Must be able to working rotating shifts.
• Material Handling: Must be able to drive forklift in tight quarters. Be able to connect/disconnect hoses to bulk containers (like railcars/tank trucks) for loading and unloading operations properly to avoid spills or an emission. Awareness of the hazard of all materials handled, Personal Protective Equipment and labeling required.
• Perform all other tasks as assigned by supervision.
• 1 year + experience
• Completion of high school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Preferably two years’ experience in a chemical manufacturing plant or petroleum refining working under the direction of a lead operator. Experience in a facility conducting batch or continuous chemical synthesis using hazardous chemicals. Basic knowledge of functioning of chemical processing equipment like agitated reactors, heat exchanges, pumps, absorbers, scrubber, etc… and instrumentation required.
Thank you for you interest in this job opportunity.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
To be considered for employment with AMVAC in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or temporary resident (temporary work authorizations for practical training does not meet this requirement). AMVAC does not normally sponsor foreign citizens to obtain a work visa or permanent residency.
AMVAC is an equal opportunity employer.